Are you bored and searching for a new hobby?
Are you interested in blogging and you don’t know how and where to start?
If you answered ‘yes’ to the questions above, this post is for you.
First of all, this post is basically a complete beginner’s steps on how to create your own blog. This means that I will only touch on the basic and general steps on how to create a blog.
Secondly, I will not touch on the topic of search engine optimisation (SEO), monestisation, choosing a niche and getting your blog to self-host. In my opinion, those topics are more suitable for intermediate bloggers.
Thirdly, I will not go deeper on paid or free hosting platform. That will be for another post.
How to Start a Blog?
- Determine if you want to host your blogging on a free blogging platform or self hosted blog
Choose free blogging platform if:
- If you are a complete beginner and want to try out blogging for the first time
- Budget is an issue – For non-US/non-UK/non-EU residents, hosting plans aren’t cheap
- You don’t blog regularly
- You don’t plan on monetising your blog – some blogging platform won’t allow you to run ads
- You just want a personal blog where you can rant and ramble
Choose self-hosted if:
- Budgeting is not an issue
- You want more control on your blog
- You blog regularly
- You plan on monetising your blog and plan to make a career out of it (regardless as a full-time career or as a side hustle)
- Sign up for an account on your chosen platform
- Give your blog a name
- Start typing away
Sign up for an account on a platform that you choose.
Your blog name is your identity. You can either make it generic or specific depending on what you will blog about.
Start writing about what you want, such as your thoughts and opinions. Blogging is a fun outlet for you to be heard. Have fun!